Monday, March 3, 2008

INDEPENDENCE OF KOSOVO

Independence of Kosovo

17th February,2008, Kosovo declared independence from Serbia.

I was shocked and bewildered when I first heard this news. Independence again. From now on, the Yugoslavia has been divided into 7 countries. All these 7 countries are in chaos and poverty. Independence, is not always as good as it sounds.

The reason of Kosovo’s separation was quite common. Ethnic conflict between Kosovo and Serbia has been occurring for more than ten years in this area. Most of the residents in Kosovo are Albanian. In Serbia, Slavic people are the majority. From the 1980s, Kosovo has began fighting for independence. The Albanians established their own government and elected their own president. However, this did not bring them freedom, but plunged them into war and turbulence. The tension between the two places developed higher than any time before. Then the Kosovo War broke out. I cannot tell how scared the scene was, but thousands of Albanians were killed. At last, American armies came and “stopped” the slaughter.

I don’t know how Kosovo can be independent. Maybe that will thanks to America. However, is it a real independence? I don’t think so. Although Kosovo declare its independence, also many countries have already recognized it, but can Kosovo really live independently? In a short term, it’s impossible. With such circumstances and terrible relationship with countries beside, maybe it would be poorer and cannot live alone any more.

Furthermore, is it really good for Kosovo to be independence? I believe the answer is “no”. We can understand. We know people in Kosovo are living in an abyss of misery. Wherever are flames of war. People even don’t know whether they can live till the next moment. Adults cannot get a home, children cannot get to school. All the thoughts in their minds are horror. But can these problems be solved by independence? I don’t think so. The original idea of being independence is to get out of Serbia’s dominance and live a better life. Now Kosovo is being independent, how’s their dream? Still cannot achieve. Maybe it becomes even much harder to realize. Along with the independence of Kosovo, the conflict between Kosovo and Serbia will certainly increase. Not only Serbia, but also other races beside or inside Kosovo will come out and oppose it. Kosovo’s future, is surely becoming bleaker.

Of course we cannot blame Kosovo in our position. But something I still want to emphasize is that the independence of Kosovo will certainly causes bigger and deeper conflict. Other powers will definitely interfere in this case. At that time, how will the Earth rotate is going to harder to anticipate. The other aspect is about laws. The International Laws has made very clear that sovereignty of every state cannot be infringed. The United Nation also has decided the property of Kosovo which belongs to Serbia. If even under these rules can Kosovo be independent, what else cannot happen. If there is this exception, there will soon be many exceptions. Then the order of the whole world will be disrupted.

At last, I should personally add one statement. The world is round. People are equal. What can’t we just tolerant others. And our world will be nicer.

No comments: