Thursday, August 28, 2008

[EL] blog 3

Maybe I am slacking. But I really mean it when I was writing this article. I have fed up of the annoying single-sex education. Since I have the chance, I must try to vent my dissatisfaction but not keeping mute any more.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is single sex school a good choice for secondary school student? This argument has last for centuries. What I want to say here is, no, absolutely no! As a student who is right now experiencing the agony of single-sex school, I strongly oppose the argument that single-sex school is better than co-edu school (although I am the positive). People who haven’t experienced it might think single-sex school is good. However, these people would never know the misery of students like me. As a healthy and normal 16-year-old boy, it is reasonable for me to be attracted by peer females. It is human nature. I believe everyone would understand this feeling. Getting in touch with opposite sex has nothing to do with immoral but a natural phenomenon affecting by hormone. However, I, and tens of thousands of students like me, am deprived from this basic needing. How can I bear things like this to happen!
Single-sex education separates male and female students in separated buildings or schools. The practice was predominant before the mid-twentieth century. Single-sex education is often advocated on the basis of tradition, as well as religious or cultural values. However, things have changed! The time is flying. Our mind should also develop along with the world. Single-sex schools are built because of the corny concepts in the ancient time. At that time, males and females are strict separated. Communication without permission of the elderly was regarded as disgraceful. Single-sex schools are built for this purpose. Nowadays, concepts like boys and girls cannot get together are totally out of fashion and eliminated. So, what is the reason that people still establish single-sex school? No way to do so! Even school like the one with the longest history in Singapore should transform to co-education school!
In fact, single-sex schools do have some constructive benefits. For example, in a single-sex school, gender roles can be subverted. This means that students can choose the subjects they are really good at. Girls can comfortably choose art and lit as boys may choose science and math. They would not need to learn something that only the opposite sex is good at and are able to major in their strong suits. Another significant point is that, according to scientists’ study, boys and girls receive and process information differently. For example, girls hear better than boys. According to this result, we would rather call for boys to sit closer to the front of the classroom than what we usually do now that arranges girls sitting in the front. However, in a single-sex school, these problems can be avoided by setting special study programs which are only aimed at a certain sex. The most significant benefit (maybe) of single-sex school comes from the restriction of contact with the opposite sex. Adolescents at my age may be very keen on relationships between male and female. That’s the truth. I have to confess that I am also distracted by it. In a co-education school, some cases like these may happen: boys are embarrassed to ask a question or do well in school when girls are present in their classrooms; girls are more concerned with their looks and actions then class work when boys are present. This may somehow disturb students’ study.
However, even there are so many drawbacks of co-ed school, I still support it. Not only because I am eager of girls, but also because it is crucial for a person to learn to get along with others, in this case, especially opposite sex. The god create both male and female is not only for fun, but for them to coordinate, to learn from each other, to complement each other. Both male and female have their own advantages. Males are good at logic while females are good at emotional composition. Males are strong while females are careful doing things. When boys and girls are mixed together, they would be influenced subtly by the other and such to perfect their characters. Sometimes they may distract by this relationship, however, most of the time they will cherish it and to do their best in front of the other. There is this possibility that one may study very hard to improve one’s image in the others mind. This may not be quite suitable somehow. However, it is necessary for teens to experience all in order to grow up. That is the way they will learn much more apart from the textbook.
Another point is that single-sex education will strengthen gender stereotype. As all girls are doing art and all boys are doing science, the society may polarize and finally bring unpredictable disasters.
Now at last, I want to repeat my point, co-education school is better than single-sex school anyhow and we need to abolish single-sex school. I believe my spring is coming soon.

No comments: